The holy month of Ramadan should not be a time when we toss our healthy-eating habits out the window. After a long day of fasting, one can still enjoy delicious meals prepared with the principles of ‘good nutrition’ in mind.
Tips to avoid weight gain and stay healthy in Ramadan:
- Try to avoid breaking fast with a large meal.
- Break your fast with a fresh juice, dates and soup for example, and about an hour or two later, proceed to the main meal.
- Eat slowly and avoid losing yourself while eating with friends and family and not realizing that you are FULL.
- Avoid sugary drinks and juices or consume them in moderation.
- Don’t stop your daily activities during this month. Keep exercising, keep moving.
- Avoid the over consumption of fried foods and rich sweets which are generally served at this time.
- Don’t forget to drink plenty of water.
Common discomforts during the month of Ramadan include: Constipation, indigestion, bloating and heartburn. To avoid such problems:-
- Drink at least 1.5 litres of water from iftar until Suhoor
- Even if you don’t like to eat at Suhoor, try to wake up to drink some water
- Increase your fiber intake daily. Eat a plate of salad and fruits every day
- It is best to break up the Iftar meal into two parts. Part 1.Soup and salad Part 2. the main meal a little while later.
- Avoid soft drinks as they will slow down the digestion process (and cause further bloating / constipation)
- Fried foods are the main cause of heart burn
- Drink more herbal teas to aid in digestion (such as chamomile or mint tea)
- Go for a walk to help your body digest.
By: Dr. Suzan Terzian Sha
Clinical Nutritionist & Consultant (Founder of Health 4 Life)
உடலே & உயிரே... உணர்வாய் உன்னை....!!
For further more Health Tips, visit the following website.
CARE YOUR HEALTH. BCOZ, IT IS YOUR WEALTH.